Sunday, November 10, 2013

bird

dear bird that just hit the window,

Of course I knew the sound. That strangely soft and gentle thud.

I ran to the window to see you, ( only stunned I hoped) in the grass, quietly panting. I opened the window and said " it's okay sweetie" about a hundred million times.

I approached you to place you in a box to keep you warm. Your colors astounded me. The grey was too beautiful to be called merely grey. It should be magnificent grey to better communicate the splendor of you little bird. Or ocean grey to convey your beauty and grace. The markings so intricately woven together as if a painter had seen them in a dream.

I held you and spoke to you and bore witness to your death. And it was an horrific honor. And I cried.

I'm so sorry dear bird but I'm thankful to have been present so that you were not alone.

1 comment: